- Put the salt, sugar, crushed fennel, coriander and black pepper into a bowl and mix until evenly distributed.
- Spread the mixture on salmon making sure to cover whole fish. There shouldn’t be pink flesh visible. If using two fillets (my preferred method), repeat.
- Place some dill at bottom of glass or ceramic container that will hold the filet comfortably and then put one fillet skin side down on top of dill.
- Cover the top of fillet with more dill (big but evenly spread bunch) and now place second fillet on top, this time flesh side down.
- Cover with yet more dill and wrap container in plastic film.
- Place heavy weight (brick or similar) on top and refrigerate for at lest 3 days, turning over both fillets once a day.
- On 4th day, remove from refrigerator, discard dill and briefly wash under cold running water. Dry with paper towel and remove all seeds that stuck to flesh.
- Using very sharp knife, slice at shallow angle (just few degrees from parallel to cutting board) starting at the narrow (tail) end. Make the slices as thin as possible.
Mix all ingredients in bowl till smooth and well combined.