Monday, March 7, 2011

Roasted Duck with Red Cabbage & Dumplings.

This is not a new recipe, just one interesting experience. The recipe is basically same as the one for Roasted Duck Legs.
I must have roasted at least 100 ducks, either whole, split or just legs or breasts but I have never come across such a lean, and on first try, tough duck. I say first try because I had to have a second go it. The duck was too tough after 2-1/2 hours of roasting at 350 °F and another 30 minutes at 375 °F. Not only that, but there was hardly any fat rendered at all. Usually I would have at least 1-1/2 cups of fat but this time I had one measly tablespoon. Makes you wonder if they were chasing the duck around or racing her/him on some duck race track. Anyway, nothing was lost, except I had to scramble to prepare emergency super. I just put the 2 halves back in roasting pan with a cup of water, covered the pan tight and basically steamed it in oven at 350 °F for another hour and half. Then uncovered the pan, raised heat to 375 °F and roasted half an hour more. It came out with nice crispy skin and moist meat that was falling of the bone. That bird spend as much time in the oven as barbecued pulled pork! Lesson learned: Check for amount of fat and adjust the cooking time accordingly.

No comments: